Thursday, July 1, 2010

What is the semantic web

The semantic web consists of web pages that are organized so that they not only make sense to people reading them, but allow software to easily pull information out of them.

I give thanks to the weblog of Bob DuCharme which showed how much fun Sparql could be. He showed a query used to get all the blackboard gags that Bart wrote on the blackboard during season 12. My first queries brought me a lot of laughs as I began to retrieve joke after joke without visiting each and every web page describing each episode.

I deal with government fishery databases every work day. I never realized that the developers of the Simpson's television series were methodically recording various details about each show in wikipedia and that these descriptions of each episode could be processed as if they were records in a database.  This is like the metadata that computer programmers are supposed to write to document their programs.

What is Linked Data from Internet pioneer Sir Tim Berners-Lee

Here is Sir Tim Berners-Lee on this at TED:


Michael Hausenblas's introductions:

No comments:

Post a Comment